Friday, July 31, 2026

St Ignatius and Desolation

 In honor of St Ignatius of Loyola's feast day today, at least two sites I visited mentioned his 14 Rules and particularly, Rule #5.   

The fifth: In time of desolation never to make a change; but to be firm and constant in the resolutions and determination in which one was the day preceding such desolation, or in the determination in which he was in the preceding consolation. Because, as in consolation it is rather the good spirit who guides and counsels us, so in desolation it is the bad, with whose counsels we cannot take a course to decide rightly. — St. Ignatius of Loyola

This reminds me a bit of the advice my mother got after the death of my father, not to make any major life decisions while still actively grieving.  

A few posts on St Ignatius I wrote through the years:

Servant of God Father Hardon SJ, whom I quoted yesterday, wrote about spiritual consolations and desolations here.  Discernment of Spirits.


For myself, my brain actually seems to change when in desolation.   I don't remember what I resolved during better times; or if I remember, it seems cruelly out of reach.   I think, therefore, that there is a Little Way to take this advice -- to simply repeat the "Jesus, I trust in You!" prayer or something similar.     I don't think the bad spirits can prevail so long as one is clinging to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Method of Inquiry

Question 1 in Part 1 of the Summa Theologica is about the "nature and extent of Sacred Doctrine".   Aquinas wants to "place o...